It is issued at social security offices in the country of origin. It can be used in the 28 EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

We recommend that you access the European Health Insurance Card website:

Spanish and European Community citizens who hold the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

It is advisable to locate the Canary Islands Health Service health centre closest to the property where you are staying. Location of the health centres, on the health map.

Non-residents in EU countries

In this case, you will have to contact the travellers’ helpline of the company with which you have taken out your health insurance.

What to do if I have health insurance?

The insured person should call the telephone number of the insurance company and provide the following information:

  • Name.
  • Policy number.
  • Place where you are.
  • Contact telephone number.
  • Description of the indisposition.

The company will indicate the medical centre to which you should go.

In the event of an emergency and if it is totally impossible to notify the company in advance, you can go to the nearest medical centre. Subsequently inform the company within a short period of time.